Wednesday, December 07, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened ...

Every so often, I write something that makes me laugh.

Mind you, I am not the toughest audience. And sometimes I think I'm pretty clever.

But mostly, I'm awed by folks who can write funny.

David Sedaris sends me into fits.

And today, David Leite did, too.

"David who?", you may be asking if you are not obsessed with all things food. David Leite, kids. Check out his bio. The man collects James Beard awards like I collect, well, I don't really collect anything. Except, these days, too many empty bottles from wine.

But his recounting – his confession – of this Thanksgiving's mishaps and mayhem in rural Connecticut had me in tears each time I read it. And I read it three times.

He and I are friends on Twitter and I wrote to tell him that with his fabulous voice, he really needs to podcast this sucker, because for food lovers, this tale is the Thanksgiving mashup of " 'Twas The Night Before Christmas" and David Sedaris' "Santaland Diaries." (If you haven't read it, do.)

I thought about including an excerpt, but truly, it needs to be experienced from beginning to end.

Take all necessary precautions. Visit the restroom first. Do not read while consuming a beverage. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Thanks, David. You're a gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home