Thursday, December 21, 2006

Toffee Squares ...


Damn if these don't taste an awful lot like toffee. Happily, though, you don't run the risk of cracking a tooth by biting into them. This is the penultimate holiday cookie post, but I have a long running list of cookie tips yet to share, and I'm going to keep baking and photographing whatever I bake, so you can keep reading. If you're so inclined.

These are pretty straightforward as cookies go. None of those pesky cookie-forming chores. Just pat the dough in a pan and bake. When I cut these, I like to trim the edges first so that all the cookies will be uniform. The edges bake up a bit higher than the field, so edge pieces have a raised edge. I don't like the inconsistency, but then, I'm funny that way.

Toffee Squares
(From Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book, Published by General Mills, 1963)

1 C. butter or margarine (You know my feelings about margarine ...)
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
2 C. flour
1/4 t. salt
3 to 4 chocolate bars (Like Hershey's, eh?)
1/2 C. chopped nuts (I use walnuts, and I grind them; if you chop them, chop them fine)

Heat oven to 350. Mix butter, sugar, yolk, and vanilla. measure flour by dipping method*. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Pat into a 9x13 baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes. Crust will appear soft. Remove pan from oven and immediately place chocolate on top of crust. When melted, spread with the back of the spoon to cover the crust. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Cut while warm.

* Dipping method: Slightly fluff up flour with a spoon or measuring cup. Dip measuring cup into flour and overfill. Level off measuring cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home