Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Peanut Butter ...


No cookie reminds me of my childhood more than a peanut butter cookie. Maybe it's the flavor, maybe it's the tell-tale criss-cross, but these cookies make me happy.

I always double this recipe, so I use one stick of butter and a half-cup of shortening. I'm going to look for a new peanut butter cookie recipe, but I fear the flavor will not be the same. I don't eat Jif peanut butter anymore (trans fats, you know; I'm a Skippy Natural girl now), but I bought Jif for these cookies, because Jif is the peanut butter we always ate as kids, and Jif is the peanut butter with which we made these cookies. So they're the one-two punch of trans fats this Christmas, but I try to tell myself that a few cookies won't do irreparable harm. They're cookies, for God's sake. Who wants to consider their health when eating cookies?!

Oh, and while it's up to you, I use creamy peanut butter in these cookies, not crunchy. These are one of the few cookies in which I don't put nuts. Go figure.


Peanut Butter
(From Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book, Published by General Mills, 1963)

1/2 C. shortening (part butter or margarine)
1/2 C. peanut butter
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 1/4 C. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix shortening, peanut butter, sugars, and egg thoroughly. Blend all dry ingredients. Stir into the shortening mixture. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten criss-cross style with fork dipped in flour. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home