Friday, December 15, 2006

Oatmeal Raisin ...


Ah, the venerable oatmeal raisin, cookie stalwart.

Who among us does not love the oatmeal raisin, full of earthy, whole-grain goodness?

As I mentioned in this post, Bill Kurtis is all about these cookies. I make two recipes of them every year because Bill gets almost a whole batch to himself.

I use Quaker old-fashioned oats, not the quick-cooking variety. Quick-cook oats are just rolled oats that have been chopped up into smaller bits. I like the chewiness of the whole rolled oats. But that's just me. Do whatever floats your oaty boat.

I also use golden raisins instead of the darker variety. Golden raisins seem more plump to me, and they keep people guessing. One day, Bill, munching on a cookie in his office, looked at me and said, "Apple?" No, I told him, golden raisins. "Ah," he said, as only Bill can.

Oatmeal Raisin
(Quaker Oats Co. recipe)

1 C. butter or margarine, softened
1 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt (optional)
3 C. Quaker Oats (uncooked)
1 C. raisins
(I add chopped toasted walnuts, too)

Heat oven to 350. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool one minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home