Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mint Surprises ...


Gee, I wonder what the surprise could be? The name of the cookie kinda gives it away. But this year, I made things slightly more surprising by using both dark mint chocolate and ... white mint chocolate! Ha! So those biting into my cookies won't know which they're getting. Finally, some mystery returns to the cookie experience.

I buy my chocolate for these cookies at a local store that sells candy-making supplies. This chocolate is meant to be melted down and used in molds, but the pieces work perfectly for this application.

Walnut halves may be a little harder to come by for commoners such as ourselves. I went through four bags of mom's Diamond walnuts and pulled out all the halves. There were a lot of them. Sometimes, you just hit a walnut-half mother lode.

Mint Surprises
(Presented as written in my late Aunt Stana's anal-retentively neat recipe notebook - seriously, the pages are typed out and the holes are reinforced)

Sift:
3 1/4 C. sifted flour
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt

Cream:
1/2 C. butter
1/2 C. shortening

Add:
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. firmly packed brown sugar

MIX WELL

Add:
2 eggs, unbeaten
2 T. water
1 t. vanilla; beat well.

Blend in dry ingredients. Mix well.

Enclose a chocolate wafer (I use the discs you buy at a candy-making-supply store) in about 1 T. of dough. Place on greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Top each with a walnut half. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home