Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I Am Not Alone ...

Today, I searched for "cookie queen" on Google and oh, the things I found.

Many women fancy themselves "cookie queens." And why not? Shy of the Kennedys, Americans have no royalty. I also found cookie queens in Canada and Scotland. And I'm sure there are more. (At some point, I had to stop surfing and do some work actually related to my job.)

Interestingly, a search for "cookie king" does not yield appreciably fewer results. Wally Amos seems to be the undisputed Cookie King. Hard to argue with that. If you're worthy of an episode of "Biography," you're on the cookie map. While searching for "cookie" on Google Images, I found this "Cookie King." He's quite a looker. He reminds me of "American Dad." His T-shirt says, "Don't Eat My Food."

My Cookie Queen rendering is certainly less colorful, but she's infinitely cuter. I tried to make her my profile photo here, but Blogger doesn't seem to allow posting different photos on separate blogs, and she doesn't make much sense as the mascot for Finding My Voice. Giving inspiration where it's due, I'll reveal that my little Cookie Queen was inspired by a doodle that my friend Jennifer Kovacs used to draw in high school. Jen had hair much like Cookie Queen, but Jen didn't wear a crown. At least, not to school.

But hands down, the most exciting "cookie queen" discovery of the day was this: Harlequin American Romance No. 992, "The C.E.O. & The Cookie Queen." Aren't you just dying to know the story? I thought you might be. Here's a review (unedited by moi) from booksforabuck.com (though if you want to purchase a copy, you have to link to Amazon, which charges $4.75):

"When his baking company gets into trouble with the nutrition police, C.E.O. Greg Rafferty decides that the best defense is to show that cookies are a critical part of being an American. To do this, though, he needs a spokesperson. Since his company's top brand is that based on recipies by Carole Jacks, it seems that she would be the perfect spokesperson. So Greg heads from Chicago to Ranger Springs, Texas to meet the low profile genius behind the top cookies. He's expecting something between Betty Crocker and Julia Child. Instead, he finds a beautiful blonde single mom who is insistent on her privacy and anything but willing to go along with what he knows is essential to save his company. Worst, Greg's hormones spring into instant action. He wants Carole, and for a lot more than just his corporatre spokesman.

Ten years ago, Carole had run off, gotten married and pregnant, only to find that her husband wanted his career, his drugs, and his alcohol more than he wanted a wife and child. She returned home to Ranger Springs determined to protect her daughter from her mistakes. Although she can't deny the sexual attraction that Greg exudes, becoming corporate spokesman is a nightmare to her, but Greg won't take no for an answer. Without her understanding quite how he is doing it, Greg moves into her life--he even buys her daughter's prize steer when he sees how miserable Jennifer is about the upcoming barbeque where that steer is scheduled to become guest of honor.

Greg is almost happy when Carole turns him down--it gives him a chance to woo her without the complexities of a employee relationship, but he can't understand her determination to keep herself from the public eye. She is exactly what his company needs and Greg can't think of any other alternative to saving the company."

Well, all righty then. Is your oven preheating or is it just hot in here?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Doreen said...

I certainly hope you have purchased the book!!!!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous CookieQueen said...

I cannot believe this book exists! I might have to buy it just to put it in my kitchen as a reminder that making cookies is HOT (and not just because of the oven).

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home