Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Chocolate Crinkles ...


These are my brother Paul's favorite cookie. These are my friend Dave's favorite cookie. Paul and Dave share the same birthday. Hmm. Maybe I should write an astrology book about cookies!

Some call these Brownie Drops, and with good reason. The cookie itself is very brownie-like, rich and fudgy. Therefore, because I put walnuts in my brownies, I put walnuts in these cookies, even though they're not called for in the recipe. You can certainly make these walnut-free, but I think they lose something without the extra, nutty texture.

These are a bit of a mess to make. Some cookie recipes instruct you to chill the dough, but you can get away with baking them right away. Not these. Chilling is essential. And the next day, when you're forming the cookies, put the bowl of dough back in the fridge between batches. Once this dough gets soft, it's pretty difficult to handle. Keep it chilled.

The recipe says to drop spoonfuls of dough into the powdered sugar and then roll those into balls. I reverse it, rolling the dough into balls and then in the powdered sugar. It's a bit messier that way, but the cookies bake into more perfect rounds. As with the Russian Teacake recipe, I use a Pyrex pie plate for my powdered-sugar rolling, and keep the sugar fluffed up with a fork as I roll the cookies. More sugar adheres to the dough that way, and when you bake these, the contrast is more stark. Contrast is the key to appearance of these cookies.

Chocolate Crinkles
(From Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book, Published by General Mills, 1963)

1/2 C. vegetable oil
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 C. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 C. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Powdered sugar

Mix oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method* and stir together with baking powder and salt. Add to oil mixture and stir. Chill overnight. Heat oven to 350. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into powdered sugar. Roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet then transfer to wire racks.

* Dipping method: Slightly fluff up flour with a spoon or measuring cup. Dip measuring cup into flour and overfill. Level off measuring cup.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We must be cookie soulmates... I make all the same cookies! Never tried the walnuts in the Crinkles, though. Nice touch. And I must know how you get your Jam Thumbprints so perfect-looking? Nice photography too... especially liked the Snickerdoodle pic. So warm and inviting.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Aw, well thanks, Cookie Soulmate. Drop me a line. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Jam Thumbprints are formed by rolling the dough into balls, making a depression with a (of all things) tomato shark, then piping the jam into the well using a Ziploc bag with a corner snipped off.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home